Thursday, May 14, 2015

Why Everyone Should Be Forced To Work A Retail Job At Least Once

If you have ever worked at a job where you deal with the public...retail...you know what true hell can be.



It seems these days everyone is rude, leaves messes, and make demands which are just straight up ridiculous.  All the while employees must remain calm and bend over backwards with a smile planted across their face.

Have you ever been to a store and entered the dressing rooms which happen to be a complete mess and immediately felt sorry for the person who is stuck cleaning it up?  You have worked in retail or you have empathy and common sense.  Have you ever left a huge mess and expect others to gladly clean up after you? After all, that is their job so who cares, right?  Then you are the one I am talking about and need to work a retail job for at least a good full year minimum.  Yes, it is their job but why make the job that much more horrible?  Because you are a selfish and entitled snot and think the world revolves around you.


The customer is always right.  Guess what?  No they are not.  If you do not know why rocks have dirt on them...you have no business even driving a car let alone having children, voting, etc.  (Yes, people not understanding why rocks have dirt on them is indeed a real thing.)  It amazes me just how dumb people really are.  Seriously.  And people just keep reproducing babies who will grow up with no manners or regards for others.  Shame on the parents who have obviously never worked a real day in their lives and are bringing more rude people into this world.  Just what we need...

This sign is posted out front of our office.  I guess most people do not know how to read.  

I cannot tell you how many times we have had to yell at children out at our stone yard because the parent does not watch them at all.  Semis, trucks and trailers, tractors, heavy machinery driving around and the parents just let their kids do whatever they want.  I am working and I don't have time to also be babysitting your kids.  We even have a sign stating children must be with adults at all times.  Do you think people abide by this?  I have even walked in the office to kids helping themselves to our food and drinks in the fridge. What in the hell?


Since when is it okay for children to run around freely and take things that do not belong to them?


When people come in and have children, dread immediately washes over me.  When I am trying to answer the parents' questions and discuss what they are needing, it is a common occurrence for the child to constantly interrupt.  The parent usually does nothing but allow it.  It is rude and disrespectful, especially to me.  Your child is wasting my time and making my life a living hell.  Teach your kids manners people!!!  



I just don't get it.  In grocery stores kids just run wild and are downright annoying and the parent just allows it to happen.  I see kids put their hands right on glass doors and so forth leaving smudges.  I am not talking toddlers...I am talking teens.  If they were forced to have to wash the glass at the end of the day maybe they would realize how obnoxious and rude they are.

My favorite is when people come in when we are closing.  Although we have a sign posted showing our hours out at the gate, people will still pull up to our CLOSED GATES, get out and yell for us or call the office phone over and over to ask if we are closed.  Once we state the obvious, yes we are closed, they want to come in anyway.  It is not uncommon for people to actually open our closed gates and drive on in.  That typically leads others then to pull in behind them, trying to carefully drive through the half opened gate.  This happens every single weekend.




I have people ask on a regular basis if I will wait on them or open special just for them.  They get mad when I say no.  Really?!?  We work 6 days a week here, sorry I will not stay open longer on a Saturday for you...but it must be nice to do things on a Saturday, tell me, what is that like?  And if I hear a teacher complain how they have no time but just the few summer months they have off to work on their landscaping, I swear they will receive a bitch slap.


Sad, but true!

Temper tantrums are not just for children.  Many adults throw temper tantrums on a daily basis.  "But I need a delivery now because my yard man is coming!"  Sorry but you should have planned better instead of trying to make this my problem.  "But I need it now!"  No, no you don't.  You will not die if we cannot deliver the stone or soil for your yard.  Seriously, acting like the world is ending because of your landscape project not being done in time for your big party?  Get a grip.  If we can get a delivery in for you, we will.  If we cannot, we are not putting our lives on hold to make sure you get exactly what you want just because you are screaming like a child.  Plan better and grow up.  


Poor planning on your part should not make your crap my emergency.

When someone is nice and not a demanding jerk-face, wow.  It really makes a difference in my day to deal with someone who is respectful and shows common curtesy.  I always thank them for being a nice customer.  How sad is that?

Forcing everyone to work in retail jobs as part of learning to be an adult can only improve the future generations.  Maybe then people will know what it is like to actually work hard, have empathy for others, and realize the world does not revolve around them. If everyone gets on the same page, perhaps we won't have a country full of rude and lazy assholes.  I think that is something everyone can agree with!  Have any nightmare stories from working in retail? Do share!


No comments:

Post a Comment