Thursday, April 23, 2015

Thank The Old Gods and The New For Game Of Thrones



If you do not watch HBO's series, Game of Thrones, you should.  It just started its 6th season and I simply cannot get enough.  Every episode is an unexpected delight.  Sure, it has gruesome death scenes and nudity which some find too risqué...but most is fitting for the story lines of the show.

Anyway, I did not think I would like it but I was quickly drawn in.  I enjoy that it is not predictable.  Ok yes, it is based on a series of books but does not follow along exactly.  And now that it has reached its 6th season, they are now caught up and past the books so it is all new ground.  Think Lord of the Rings...but 100 x's better, and I like Lord of the Rings.  Better yet, a soap opera on steroids is a more accurate description!  

Sometimes when my life hits a wall and I feel depressed and just over it all, a good TV show can help.  It helps to take my mind off of the stupid things which I allow to bother me.  Everyone has their own ways to deal with life and right now my go to is GoT (Game of Thrones).   Every Sunday night for the next several weeks I have a new episode to look forward to. I have enjoyed searching the web for clues of characters' story line like other nerds.  The show is so unpredictable and many characters have died that I never would have considered in danger and straight up just can't believe died!  No one is safe and a favorite character may die in the next episode, who knows!  The plots for every character are very interesting and the show leaves me on the edge of my seat each week.  It keeps me intrigued and interested unlike many shows or movies nowadays.  As a matter of fact, this is really the only time I watch any TV nowadays.


It has everything you could ever want in a show - drama, scheming and hated characters, dragons, action, love, dire wolves, dirty politics, magic, strange relationships, dragons, characters you root for, far off lands, elaborate sets and costumes, and a lot of questions leave me wanting more and more.  In case I forgot to mention, there are dragons.  Every episode is packed full of the exciting and made up world of Westros where everyone is fighting over sitting on the Iron Throne - or basically ruling over the whole 7 Kingdoms of Westros.  This season takes us to a new part of their world and introduces new people along the way - which each season does anyways.  This show has a massive and talented cast of characters.


At first it may seem a little overwhelming but trust me, it is amazing and worth investing your precious time.  I have even incorporated their saying "Winter is Coming" to my own little business I am starting called The Hobbit House.  To promote my spring opening, "Spring is Coming" and I made a video set to the theme song.  What does "Winter is Coming" mean?  I don't think anyone can really tell you yet but it is cool either way.  Below is my video if you want to check it out.


There are a lot of shows which are really good series but this is the first one I have not grown bored with and the whole cast are people who are not well known (in this country anyway) which I like as well.



The new season couldn't have started at a better time (I have only looked forward to this moment for a year - but so worth the wait).  I have been feeling down lately but GoT has been my unlikely champion helping me forget my woes.  So thank you old weird guy for writing the books, and thank you HBO for creating this amazing show!  And as they say in Westros, "Thank the old gods and the new."  

Anyone else a Game of Thrones addict?  I am and I don't care who knows it!  Plus, I now have something to look forward to each week and you can't beat that.

No comments:

Post a Comment